Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Hacking bit.ly URL Creator Firefox Add-On To Work With Firefox 3.5
Now that I am using Twitter a lot, I wanted a handy way to create bit.ly links inside Firefox, but the bit.ly add-on only supports Firefox 3.0.x and you cannot add it if you are running Firefox 3.5. So, I just hacked it up and it is working fine now with Firefox 3.5.3. To do this:
- Go to this page: http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Bit-ly-Creator-Download-38693.html
- Right-click on one of the mirrored download locations and choose “Save Link As” and save the bit.ly_creator-0.1-fx.xpi file somewhere to your hard drive.
- Open the saved bit.ly_creator-0.1-fx.xpi file with a zip file utility and extract the install.rdf file.
- Open the install.rdf file in a text editor and edit the em:maxVersion attribute by changing 3.0.* to 3.*, and save the file
- Reinsert the install.rdf file into the bit.ly_creator-0.1-fx.xpi file with your zip utility, and make sure that there is only one install.rdf file in there and that it is the correctly-edited one.
- In Firefox go to File/Open File and point to the bit.ly_creator-0.1-fx.xpi file, which will cause Firefox to install the add-on and then restart Firefox…you are done!
To use the add-on, just right-click on a link or page and choose the appropriate bit.ly option from the context menu. The URL will be saved to your clipboard and can be pasted wherever you like. SWEET!